Sunday, May 15, 2011

How To Work In The Music Industry

So you want a job in the music industry?

Whether it's as an audio engineer, a band, a rapper, a producer, a record label, talent management, A&R scout, whatever it may be, the rule is always the same; JUST DO IT.
The music industry is an extremely saturated industry full of hopefuls that dream of making it big, living as one of the rich and famous. But seriously, how many people do you think can live like that? You can certainly accomplish your goals, but it's going to take time and LOTS of hard work.
First of all, immerse yourself. Get involved as much as possible. Intern at places related to what you want to do. Keep in mind that you're probably going to fail a few times before you succeed. That's fine and normal, just don't give up.
Reach out to people and market yourself. You're not going to get anywhere if nobody has heard of you, so you need to get your name in peoples mouthes.

1 comment:

  1. As someone who has been moderately successful in the NYC live music scene I agree with this post completely. I am an engineer(monitors) who has worked with some of my favorite artists for over 12 years now... Here are the 2 things that got me in.
    1. INTERNING. As stated above you need to intern. No matter what you think you learned in school you are not ready until the pressure is on you and you are in the hot seat. That is the acid test. My 2nd internship the guy told me to show up at 9pm. I did and security was like dude soundcheck was 5 hours ago but ok. I talk to the guy mixing and he said there's a band on at ten in the basement. Go mix them. And handed me some mics and cable. I did terrible. But somehow I made it through. It wasn't until about a year or two in that I felt I really knew what was going on.
    2. Live near a big city. I grew up in a small town and you will not be finding entertainment jobs in the country. At least not ones that pay the bills. I moved to NYC and I work for at least 15 different employers and I'm constantly adding new ones...
    Check out my blog for a backstage perspective.
    soundboy2400.blogspot.com Following...

    ReplyDelete